|Home - On Shed - Timetables - Stations - Collieries - Sectional Appendix - Links - Signal Boxes - Guest book|
|A pre 1948 Third Class ticket dating from the LMS period for travel between Clay Cross and Bamford (Hope Valley)|
Clay Cross railway station was built by theNorth Midland Railway in 1840 to serve the near by town of Clay Cross. It is believed that there were originally plans to build a station within the Clay Cross Tunnel, this would however have been difficult to ventilate and it was built nearer to Tupton instead.
The original Clay Cross station was the usualFrancis Thompson Italianate design, when in 1879 the line from the Midland Counties Railway was built through the Erewash Valley to meet the North Midland, the station was rebuilt in the Midland Railway style and, at some time, it was enlarged to serve four tracks, with two outer platforms and an island platform in the middle. The station was closed in 1967 with all trace of it removed.